ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) systems are amazing. They can coordinate your entire manufacturing operation, helping you to increase performance and profits. They can also drive you to distraction when they don’t work properly. Thankfully improving your ERP system’s performance can be straightforward.
It’s just software though!
When your ERP problems are gone, the ability for your business to deliver on time increases. Data flows, everyone knows what they are doing and if you are working on a continuous improvement basis then real gains can start to be delivered. Fire fighting to achieve delivery dates is a sure fire way to put continuous improvement on hold!
There are a number of things you can do immediately to improve your system and overcome the ERP challenges that you are facing. These include:
- Clean your data so that the information you are using is accurate and can be relied upon.
- Understand the modules the comprise your ERP system so that you can get the most out of it.
- Similarly, find the work-arounds people are using (Excel spreadsheets for example) and find ways to use the system instead.
- Ensure that your management discussions support and drive the ERP system – don’t leave your ERP system on autopilot!
- Create some disciplines and routines around the ERP system to ensure that it is both maintained and working effectively.
On Time Delivery?
Improving how your ERP system works can dramatically improve your on time delivery performance and help to increase profits. When constant fire fighting in the business ceases it opens up so many opportunities to improve the business. We can spend our time delivering a better service for our customers, rather than spending time frustrated doing our jobs ‘long hand’ with an ineffective ERP system.
Still having problems?
I hope that you find the above tips useful. If you would like some specific help with overcoming your ERP problems then please get in touch and let me see how I can help your business.